With over 2,500 customer reviews on Amazon, it’s fair to say that the Black & Decker D2030 Digital Advantage steam iron has been well tested. It’s also one of the bestsellers thanks to its low price point and top-ratings.
In my review of the D2030, I’ll be analyzing the good and bad of this steam iron, and whether it’s worth spending a bit more money on something that has more to offer.
Average User Rating:
Automatic Fabric Settings – Choose the fabric setting from the options displayed underneath the handle, and the steam iron will automatically adjust itself to the optical setting for whatever fabric you’re ironing.
Good Consistent Powerful Steam – Regardless of what temperature the steam setting is on, you’ll always get a powerful steam even on low temperatures to help you remove all those wrinkles.
Auto & Manual Turn Off – Most automatic turn off steam irons doesn’t allow you to manually turn it off without pulling the plug out of the socket, but the D2030 does.
Excellent Value – The D2030 offers exceptional value considering that it’s a top-rated steam iron that packs a good amount of features.
|Black & Decker D2030|
|Our User Rating|
|Cord||7 ft. 8"|
|Soleplate||INOX Stainless Steel Nonstick|
|Water Tank||10 oz|
|Extra Features||+ LCD Display|
+ Vertical Steam Surge
+ Variable Steam Options
+ 7-Type Fabric Selector
+ 360° Pivoting Cord
|Dimensions||11.5" x 4.9" x 6.3"|
The people that know the most about a product is those that have actually used it consistently over a period of time. We’ve researched over 80 real user reviews to highlight the positives and negatives of their experiences with the Black & Decker D2030 Digital Advantage steam iron.
Design & Construction
The Black & Decker D2030 offers a very simple no thrills white and silver appearance. You’ll first notice the silver center that is the water reservoir which is translucent so it’s easy to see how much water there is left. The water tank has an impressive 10 oz capacity, which is more than what you’ll find in many other steam irons.
Beneath the handle is a chart which tells you what setting you need to use for each different type of fabric, which is very handy. In front of that are the steam settings which you rotate into place, and just in front of the handle are two large buttons for the spray and temperature.
The LCD display is really what makes the D2030 unique to all other steam irons within its price range. Most users love it because it makes the iron even easier to use as you can always tell what setting you’re changing it to.
Looking at the iron, you would think it was quite heavy but that’s not the case. It weighs 3.2 lbs, which is not the lightest but it’s not too heavy either.
Towards the back, you’ll see a large plastic base stick out, which isn’t very attractive but helps to stabilize the iron when stood upright. The cord is around 7.8 ft. which is a good length when compared to other steam irons, and it can also be rotated 360 degrees on its base, making it easier to move around. Unfortunately, the cord doesn’t retract nor is there anywhere to wrap it around other than the iron itself.
Constructed from stainless steel, the INOX soleplate is scratch resistant and non-stick (even though it’s not actually mentioned within the official product description). Most users have praised it on its smooth gliding when ironing.
There are 29 indents, 25 of which have 2 steam holes and 4 which have 3 steam holes, totally 62 steam holes in total, making it a good amount for an even distribution of steam.
Being one of the bestselling and top-rated steam irons on the market, the Black & Decker D2030 Digital Advantage has received quite a lot of feedback. Here are some of the main points that have been highlighted by customers.
- It has a soft grip handle which adds comfort when maneuvering the iron.
- The weight of the steam iron is just enough for the right amount of pressure when ironing.
- Heats up within 30 seconds, which is impressive when compared to most other steam irons within the same price range and even above.
- It releases a consistent and powerful steam no matter what the temperature is.
- It’s easy to set the digital display for custom temperature, steam control and fabric settings.
- You can manually turn off the iron by holding down the temperature button.
- The water refill opening is large enough for a lot of water to enter at once, making it quick and easy to refill.
- There is no anti-calc/scale feature so you’ll have to monitor and remove limescale manually.
- There has been several complaints about the flimsiness of the water refill cover, though Black & Decker seems to have made it sturdier.
Ease Of Cleaning
Cleaning the D2030 is easy enough, because not only does it have a self-clean feature, but it will also notify you via the LCD screen when the iron needs to be cleaned. When the time arrives, then just follow the self-clean instructions which only takes a few minutes.
The only thing that’s a bit of a let-down with the D2030 is that there’s no anti-calc/scale system to get rid of the build-up of calculus. This just means that you have to clean it manually whenever there’s too much calculus/limescale built-up (probably once a month if you iron daily).
- Very easy to use steam iron thanks to its simple settings and digital LCD screen which lets you know your settings.
- Consistent and powerful steam variations even on low temperatures.
It’s not hard to see why the Black & Decker D2030 Digital Advantage is one of the bestselling steam irons. It’s efficient, easy-to-use and offers exceptional value for money, which has made it very difficult for most other manufacturers to rival. If you plan on spending under $50 for a steam iron, then this is definitely a top choice.
If you want to check out another great value steam iron, I highly recommend the T-Fal FV4495 Ultraglide Easycord, which has received our ‘Best Value’ award.
Average User Rating:
- Top 10 Best Steam Irons Comparison Chart 2016
- Top 5 Best Steam Generator Irons Comparison Chart
- Top 10 Best Ironing Boards Comparison Chart