If you have kids or pets roaming around while you’re ironing, then you may want to consider a cordless steam iron. The Panasonic NI-L70SR is one that stands out among the limited range of cordless models. You can attribute that to its attractive design and practicality. In this review, I’ll be seeing how this cordless steam iron compares with other highly rated corded models.
Average User Rating:
Detachable Water Tank – At the push of a button, the water tank can be detached from the iron, allowing you to easily refill it without carrying the entire iron around. Indeed a clever design from Panasonic.
Quick Heating Times – It can reach optical temperature quickly within 1-2 minutes depending on what heat setting you have it on.
Retractable Cord – The cord that powers the base can be automatically retracted which saves even more space and effort rather than wrapping it around the unit.
Lightweight – The elimination of a cord and a smaller water tank means that this steam iron only weighs in at around 3 lbs, considerably less than most other corded models.
Heat Resistant Cover With Handle – When you’ve finished ironing, pop the iron back on the base and place the heat resistant cover over it and you can carry it around.
|Our User Rating|
|Soleplate||Stainless Steel Nonstick|
|Water Tank||5.13 oz|
|Extra Features||+ Electronic Temperature Control|
+ Vertical Steam
+ Adjustable Steam
+ Easy-to-Fill Detachable Water Tank
+ Automatic Retractable Cord Reel
+ Heat-Resistant Carrying Case
+ Charging Base
|Dimensions||11.9" x 7" x 8.3"|
|Weight||5 lbs (iron + base)|
3 lbs (iron)
There are over 500 user reviews for the Panasonic NI-L70SR on Amazon. We’ve researched over 50 of these to highlight the positives and negatives of their experiences with the Panasonic NI-L70SR cordless steam iron in order to give you an overall consensus of this product.
Design & Construction
Panasonic has really done a great job with the design of the NI-L70SR cordless steam iron because it looks good and it’s practical. There are essentially 3 parts – The base, the cover and the steam iron itself.
Cordless Steam Iron
Presenting a clean white and aqua design, the steam iron is simple in nearly aspect. Some of its simplistic and practical features are made possible by being cordless. I’d like to point out some of the things that stand out on the steam iron:
- The translucent water tank makes it easy to see water levels, and is removable at the press of a button. This makes refilling much easier, and you’re going to need to refill often if you use a lot of steam because of its small 5.13oz water tank.
- A small water tank and the elimination of a cord makes the iron smaller is size and lighter in weight. Excellent for those who have hand or wrist problems.
- On the handle are soft touch buttons for changing the temperature, indicated by lights. Easy to see and easy to press.
- Just in front of the handle are buttons for the spray mist and steam burst, and a knob for the steam settings.
The lightweight plastic base is responsible for charging and maintaining the heat of the steam iron during ironing sessions. Printed on the back of the base are fabric steam/temperature settings. Follow these guidelines if you’re ever unsure of what setting to use for a particular piece of clothing.
There’s also an automatic retractable cord that protrudes at the front of the base. To retract it, you must pull on it slightly and it reel in, though some users have stated that they have had to push the cord in.
Based on the same color as the water tank, the aqua cover is heat resistant and clicks securely into place via the clips on each side of the base. There’s also a carry handle at the top of the cover, which allows you to transport the steam iron and base around, even when it’s still hot.
The majority of users have had a positive overall ironing experience with the Panasonic NI-L70SR, with very few being disappointed. Here are some of the main points that have been highlighted by customers.
- The stainless steel soleplate has steam holes within oval indents on the outer perimeter. These are designed to trap pockets of air between the soleplate and whatever you’re ironing to glide and remove creases easier.
- It’s much easier to change the steam temperature since there are soft touch buttons for this on the handle itself, rather than having a large dial below the handle like you would see with many corded steam irons.
- As long as you maintain the charge of the iron by placing it on the base whenever you’re changing clothing positions, then the steam will always be fast and efficient.
- It heats up pretty quickly, within 1-2 minutes depending on what heat setting you have it on.
- You don’t need to worry about it dripping during ironing or when it’s on the base, as the anti-drip system consists of a reliable water seal within the iron.
- Has a built-in automatic shutoff system, but unlike other irons which turn off within 7-8 minutes (which is too quick for some), the Panasonic NI-L70SR only shuts down after being left on the base for more than 10 minutes.
- It has been praised by many users as being extremely quick and easy to use due to its lightweight, smaller size and cordless design.
- Some find it a hassle that to maintain heat, it must be docked on the rechargeable base in between ironing clothes.
- Since it is a cordless steam iron, the steam is nothing spectacular when compared to the top rated corded steam irons.
Ease Of Cleaning
The Panasonic NI-L70SR has one of the better self-cleaning systems we’ve seen on any steam iron. Not because it has any special functions other self-cleaning irons don’t have, it’s because its technology is just more effective. There’s an integrated anti-calc system that helps to maintain clog free steam vents by reducing the build-up of mineral deposits in the vaporizing chamber.
But no matter how great an anti-calc system is, you’re always going to get sediments, so whenever you do want the steam vents cleaned and unclogged, just let off a powerful burst of steam which works very well.
Here’s an advertisement of the Panasonic NI-L70SR which goes over the features of this cordless steam iron.
- Many users have ranted and raved about the ultra-convenient cordless system which is definitely a huge plus especially if you’re a sewer or quilter.
- Everything from the appearance to the controls to the functionality is simple which is what makes it so efficient and easy to use.
There isn’t much to not like about the Panasonic NI-L70SR cordless steam iron. Panasonic had clearly planned it out carefully when designing and producing it. As a result, it has garnered high ratings and favorable reviews from many publications and users. If you’re ready to transition from a corded to a cordless steam iron, then I can’t think of a better model to start with than this.
Average User Rating:
- Top 10 Best Steam Irons Comparison Chart 2016
- Top 5 Best Steam Generator Irons Comparison Chart
- Top 10 Best Ironing Boards Comparison Chart