Looking upon the Rowenta DG8520 Perfect Steam Iron, one who isn’t familiar with steam generator irons will wonder – how on earth does this work?! However, it’s actually very simple. The steam iron is actually separate from the water tank and boiler giving a faster heat up time of just 2 minutes which produces up to 90 minutes of powerful steam.
For some people, it may sound like it uses a lot of energy but thanks to the eco setting, the steam output can be reduced to 20% less to save energy and costs making it one of the better eco steam iron generators available on the market. My article will review what else makes this a perfect steam iron and whether this is better than using a conventional steam iron.
Microsteam 400 Soleplate – offers a superior glide without the friction and perfect steam distribution.
Precision Tip – the pointed nose enables you to get the iron into fabric corners, inside pockets and under collars with ease.
Eco Setting – use this to save up to 20% of energy and cut down on energy costs.
Large and Clear Removable Water Tank – fill up to 47 ounces of tap water to get 1.5 hours worth of ironing and steaming done.
Calc-Away System – limescale buildup is prevented with this inbuilt collector to get rid of mineral deposits ensuring the steam iron lasts longer.
|Soleplate||Micro Steam 400 Stainless Steel|
|Steam Output||120 g/min|
|Water Tank||47 oz.|
|Dimensions||17.7" x 13.6" x 11"|
Design & Ergonomics
How it Looks
There’s nothing spectacular about the appearance of this steam iron besides the size which is quite bulky compared to other models.
The steam iron sits on top of the boiler and water tank and is connected with a cord which is fairly long at 6 metres so you can even place the station on the floor while you iron. This is the cord that will allow the steam to come from the water tank to the steam iron.
Everything is placed well for convenience such as:
- A holder clip on the side of the boiler helps to keep the steam cord tidy when it’s not in use.
- A removable filter tube on the other side of the steam station that’s the Calc-Away system which can be unscrewed to clean when needed.
- The steam trigger can be found directly underneath the handle on the steam iron.
- A control panel on the back of the boiler which features the eco setting button and light indicators for the Calc-Away system, when to refill the water tank and when the steam is on.
- The main electrical cord is fixed at the back of the boiler so it doesn’t get in the way when in use. It’s also a good long length at 12 metres.
- The wheel dial is placed below the iron handle which has different heat settings that can be adjusted to suit different types of fabrics so you don’t have to worry about burning your clothing.
On the steam station, just below the steam iron’s tip, there’s a handle which can flicked down to safely lock the iron in place. This makes it easier to carry the entire steam station by the iron’s handle without worrying about the steam iron falling off. Weighing only 12 pounds when it’s empty, the Rowenta DG8520 perfect steam iron isn’t heavy either so it can be carried with the one hand.
How Easy is it to Handle?
Coming onto the ergonomic design of this steam station, the comfortable grip handle is wide making it easy to hold whether you’re using it to glide across your clothing or vertically steam hanging garments.
You can easily change the iron setting with the large and easy to twist dial and press the steam trigger with your fingers without having to stop your ironing.
Having the boiler and water tank separate from the eco steam iron itself makes it very light to use so you won’t end up with aching or sore arms.
The steam cord doesn’t get in the way when ironing either. Being at the back of the iron, there’s no worry of ironing or steaming over it. It’s thinner than the typical electrical cord and because it’s insulated, you won’t burn yourself on it if you happen to brush against it.
On the back of the boiler at the top, there’s a wide and comfortable handle for you to grab onto when you need to lift it to move about if needed. It beats having to hold the entire boiler and water tank with 2 hands to carry it.
Easy to Use Water Tank
The extra large water tank is made as a clear and removable plastic container which can hold up to 1.4 litres of water. It’s designed with clearly marked water level indicators and when the water level becomes low, a light will turn on to indicate it’s time for a refill.
It’s pretty easy to remove the water container with the clip lock at the front and there’s no need to use specialized water, tap water will do fine.
Made from stainless steel with 400 microsteam holes, the soleplate on this iron sets out to show off an impressive glide no matter what fabric it’s set on. Rowenta are known for their high quality soleplates which barely has any friction during ironing and this model is no different.
Unseen to the eye, inside the soleplate, there’s a thick central core of aluminium which provides an even spread of heat.
Every edge of the soleplate is covered with the microsteam holes which produces up to 120g of steam per minute, even on the high-precision tip, so steam is perfectly and evenly distributed so no wrinkle is left untouched. There’s a lot of holes around the tip which will help you to get into garment pockets, pleats, in between buttons and along seams without any trouble.
With so many enthusiastic and satisfied reviews on the Rowenta DG8520 perfect steam iron, the ironing performance of this steam generator iron cannot be doubted, there’s so many great features which actually work and lives up to its ‘Perfect Steam Iron’ name.
Here’s a summary of what makes this Rowenta steam iron’s performance so great:
- 5 Bars of Steam Pressure – combined with the 120g per minute of powerful steam, this steam generator iron is 3x more powerful than traditional steam irons. Even with the eco setting, it still delivers better ironing results than other eco steam irons.
- 2 Minute Heat Up – not only does it make short work of your ironing time but it’s also ideal for quick touch ups when you need it. For example, just before work!
- Vertical Steaming – ideal for delicate fabrics such as silk and when you don’t have time to get out the ironing board. There’s no loss in steam pressure and it can even be used for your curtains or drapes.
- More Steam – not only does the soleplate give even steam distribution but the amount of steam shooting out offers better penetration than standard steam irons to remove even the most stubborn wrinkles making ironing more efficient.
- Long Steaming Time – a full water tank will give up to 90 minutes of uninterrupted ironing time.
- Steady High Pressured Steam – easy to use trigger to keep the steam coming out.
- Consistent Heat – there’s no hot spots across the soleplate so every bit of your garment will have an even heat distribution during ironing.
- No Automatic Shut-Off – the steam iron won’t switch off by itself even if it’s not been used for a few minutes.
- Soleplate Heat – a few people have noticed that the soleplate only gets to its hottest when the steam is on.
- Large Base Size – the boiler base is quite big compared to other steam generator irons.
Ease Of Cleaning
Cleaning this garment steamer requires no effort at all. The inbuilt anti-calcium feature known as the Calc-Away System makes maintenance of the steam iron easy as well as increasing the life of it.
There’s a plug on the side of the boiler that collects limescale and mineral deposit buildup and this can be removed for emptying by unscrewing it.
There’s no need to check the collector after every use as the light on the control panel will turn on when it’s time for a clean. Once removed, all that needs to be done is to wash the tube under water.
Our Conclusion On the Rowenta DG8520 Perfect Steam Iron
Struggling with conventional steam irons to get clothes wrinkle free has become a thing of the past for people who have invested in this iron. It’s become an essential household tool for many people who often have lots of laundry to iron due to the huge cut in the time spent ironing. People who don’t know how to iron has even found that it’s very easy and straightforward to use.
Although the Rowenta DG8520 perfect steam iron is a pretty expensive investment, it’s performance and quality is worth the price for hardcore ironers.
And if you have a lot of expensive clothing or clothes that require dry cleaning, you’re cutting down on dry cleaning costs since this iron can keep your clothing fresher for longer. However, you can probably find other steam generator irons or a convention steam iron that perform just as well for a lower price.
Recommended For You
- Top 10 Best Steam Irons Comparison Chart 2016
- Top 5 Best Steam Generator Irons Comparison Chart
- Top 10 Best Ironing Boards Comparison Chart